Detailed Procedure and Guide for a Legal Wedding in Tanzania.
Tanzania is the largest country among the East African countries blessed with unlimited wedding venues for your destination wedding.
From the banks of Lake Victoria with the Bismark Rocks as your backdrop,to the slopes of Mt Kilimanjaro,extending all the way to Ngorongoro where the crater lake filled with the pink flamingos is the 8th wonder of the world,to the wild places of Serengeti,Manyara,Ruaha,Mikumi all the way to the deep forest the habitat of Gorillas and Chimpanzee where lake Tanganyika lies peacefully along rocky beaches it is clearly your decision to get Married in Tanzania is the best decision ever..
The country rich with different cultures but all of them united with one language Swahili is the peaceful country among all the East Africa countries. All religions are peacefully practiced here and most of them as they long as they are legally recognized by the government can perform legal marriages if you are a member of their congregation and you have full filled both your religion and government requirements.
While each religion and congregation has different guidelines on what to do in order to get married as a member of their congregation, the government procedures are standard and here is a list of what is needed to get married in Tanzania
- Certificate of Impediment
If you are intending to get married in Tanzania, a certificate of no impediment from your home country is required. This document (translated in English) must state one of three things – that;
- you were never married before
- you are divorced (attach the relevant divorce certificate)
- you were widowed (produce/attach the relevant document).
This certificate proves that no legal impediment to the intended marriage is known to the responsible authority in your country.
- Other useful documents to have are Birth certificate certified by a notary republic or or personal information from registrar of population in your country. If you intend to be married in church a letter from your pastor/priest will be helpful.
- “Notice of marriage” which is required be made 21 working days to the wedding date or the application for “Special marriages license”
- If you have less than 21 days required to put “a notice of intention to marry”, you need to make an application for “Special Marriages Licence” from the Registrar of Marriages. An application form for “Special Marriages Licence” will be issued and dully filled and a copy of the certificate of no impediment attached to it. The form must be signed and legalised by a lawyer or an advocate. The form must then go back to the Registrar of Marriages where it will be checked, a fee will be paid and the “Special Marriage License” will be issued.7 days are required at least to apply for the special marriages licence.
- With this license the couple must report to the District Commissioner’s office, Church or Mosque (depending on the place where the marriage will take place and the person who will solemnise the marriage) to set the date of the marriage. Two witnesses selected by the couple (resident or non-resident) will have to accompany the couple on the marriage date. After the ceremony, a Tanzanian Marriage Certificate (in duplicate) will be issued.
- International Certificate of Marriage. This legal document is more readily accepted outside of Tanzania as proof of your marriage. This certificate can be obtained from the Registrar of Marriages by filling out the application form (known as RGM 111). The Tanzanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Legal Department P.O. Box 9000 Dar Es’ Salaam, Tanzania; Tel. 255 22 211 1906) can endorse the International Marriage Certificate. While both the certificate and the endorsement are optional for US citizens, Denmark etc. you should clarify with your spouse’s home country to verify if they are needed in that country or for immigration purposes otherwise it is not needed.
We surely recommend you to seal the deal with a Tanzanite ring,on of the most expensive stones in the world,only found in Tanzania and fly to Zanzibar for your honeymoon.
Start right here to plan your wedding and we will be with you handy to make your dream wedding a reality.