Detailed Procedure and Steps to get legally married in Zanzibar
For years the tropical Island of Zanzibar, on the East coast of Tanzania has been a perfect getaway for beach weddings. It is no wonder because of the exclusivity, the clear sand beaches of Indian Ocean, the luxury hotels and venues to host your weddings,the historical and unique Arabic Architectural buildings which are perfect for your wedding pictures and the warms and ambiance of this breathtaking tropical Island.
First you should understand that the Certificate of Marriage in Zanzibar is recognized in the United Republic of Tanzania,including Zanzibar only.It is your responsible to find out if the Certificate will be recognized in your home country as well or what is the procedure.
Alternatively you can apply for the International Certificate of Marriage which can be applied at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.All in all you need verification in your country if this Certificate is acceptable.
The Following are the list of Documents needed in order to get married in Tanzania
- Certified Copies of your Passports (The picture page). Should be certified by a Lawyer
- Four passport size photography
- Certificate of Impediment. A Certificate of Non Impediment is obtainable from the Register Office in the area where you reside. Please have this stamped by your local authority.
- Certified Copies of Birth certificate of the Bride and Groom. Should be certified by a Lawyer
5. Copies of any previous marriage and/or divorce certificates from both parties. Death certificate if widowed. (Eligibility of both parties to be married needs to be proved beyond a shadow of a doubt)
- A headed letter from a noted professional, such as a doctor, minister / pastor or lawyer, stating that the couple are single and free to be married. Quoting names of both bride and groom as on passports and birth certificates as well as passport numbers. It needs to be presented on letterhead paper and signed by the professional themselves.
7). Complete the attached letter to the Regional Commissioner. (Application to get married in Zanzibar.
*Copies of original documents can be certified at your local police station or post office Commissioner of Oath / Justice of the Peace.
You can send these documents via DHL or ARAMEX or any other shipping company, and to be on the Safe Side we will appreciate if we can receive the documents at least 30 days before to complete the Application Process.
Once we have your documents, be assured your journey to I DO in the spice island is set to start.
On the other hand, if you are not interested with the legal marriage, we can organize your perfect romantic symbolic wedding beach ceremony and still celebrate the same the same way. This can be a proper channel especially if the Certificate of Marriage of Zanzibar is not recognized in your country.
Same way can apply for Renewal of Vows.
Ready to get Hitched in Zanzibar? Get Started